Thursday, November 11, 2010

Restarted work on "Smerdyakov" (Working title).

Piece is approximately 18.5"x20"
Click on it for full view

I restarted work on this piece which I "finished" back at the beginning of June '10.  It's working title was "Smerdyakov", though that may change as I don't feel like it befits that character from Brothers Karamazov as much anymore.
Click on it for full view
This is the original "Finished product" that was Displayed at the Stumptown and Beulahland art shows, finished in one week's time--tons of dots rendered in a short amount of time.  I felt like I needed one more piece for Stumptown, and it seemed finished enough for display.  After having to look at it a lot, I realized I'd need to work on it some more.
Click on it for full view
A close-up of the updated version

Click on it for full view
Even closer.

Let me emphasize that I'm not finished with this piece.  I need to darken the neck, the "shirt" and the background some more.  It's quite an undertaking, my friends.  It's quite easy to get sucked into the minutiae and lose sight of the big picture, so to speak.  Such is the nature of doing large-scale dot-detail.  I look forward to starting a new one soon--possibly doing some color-work.  I owe my Aunt and Uncle a piece of artwork, so I need to get crackin' on a landscape pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment